Healthy Beef Stew
A healthy beef stew is ideal for any season, and when done correctly, can be a very healthy meal choice, making it possible to consume delicious and healthy food at the same time. But before you start making your recipes, consider your portion sizes first. As an example, a bit of pasta and cheese won’t necessarily spoil your whole eating plan, just keep in mind that you should only consume a little and no more; or rather think about the ways you can change the formula or recipe.
Firstly, you can add some veggies, as this will mean additional nutritional value but without all the additional fat. Take peas or even broccoli and add that to your meal, or you can add canned pumpkin into your meal, or even tomatoes and cabbage. Low fat varieties of cheese work best as a substitute for unhealthy options. Just remember that certain low-fat cheeses won‘t melt the same ways as their fatty alternatives.
Choose herbs, as they provide a lot of flavor and it helps you to avoid salt and sodium. For healthy beef stew, you can easily reduce the beef while simultaneously adding more veggies. It will reduce the total calories and also reduce the fat, while increasing the amount of fiber. And it will be just as delicious.
Here is a wonderful recipe that is also Paleo friendly for healthy food lovers that enjoy eating delicious food without adding any unnecessary calories.
Healthy Beef Stew:
- One pound of stewing beef (preferably grass-fed, not commercial grain-fed)
- Two tablespoons of cooking fat (yes, beef fat is healthy)
- Four cups of beef stock (try for organic, and reduced sodium);
- One cup of chopped onion;
- One cup chopped celery;
- One-half cup chopped red peppers
- One-half cup chopped yellow peppers
- Three peeled and chopped carrots;
- One 28oz can of freshly diced tomatoes;
- A half teaspoon of fresh, finely chopped rosemary;
- A half teaspoon of fresh, finely chopped thyme;
- Sea salt and black pepper according to taste.
- Take a saucepan, medium to large, and put it over a medium heat. Take the carrots, celery, onions and potatoes, and combine them with the cooking fat. Cook this for 4 – 5 minutes while you continuously stir.
- Next, you can take the beef and add it to the mixture. Then add the beef stock, tomatoes, thyme and rosemary. Add salt and pepper according to taste.
- Cover the pan while you allow it to cook for 1 hour. Allow the stew to simmer and stir a few times during the process.
- Take off the saucepan lid, and leave it to cook for another 40 – 50 minutes. If you see that the mixture is a bit too thick, you can simply add some water to or extra stock.
With healthy food choices you can easily prepare delicious dishes such as a healthy beef stew recipe that can be enjoyed by the whole family. With reduced calories and vegetables added to the mix, it is the ideal meal to prepare for dinner time.
Healthy beef stew recipes or even healthy beef soup is ideal for any season, since it can be changed to a lighter meal for summer, while providing a delicious warm winter meal.