How to Start an Exercise Program
Although must of us know that we should exercise, we often need a bit more; a simple plan of action that will help us improve our overall health. How to start an exercise program is a question many of us struggle with. To help us get started, lets begin with the basics:
Research has shown that adults with chronic illnesses will significantly improve their activity levels if they are provided with strategies aimed at changing their behavior. This is not the case when they are simply told about it or given information only. Simple strategies that incorporate action will almost always be the best road to success. For example, if you write down your activities over a certain period of time, you will automatically increase your awareness and this will motivate you to exercise.
Here are a few secrets that will help you start an exercise program that you can stick to.
How to start an exercise program:
- Goal Setting. Set specific time aside for your exercises. You can choose, for example, 30 minutes a day, three times a week. Track your progress and make sure that you stick to it. Make sure that you know exactly what to do and when to do it.
- Set Constant Reminders. Make time for your training sessions and mark them on your calendar much like any other meeting or event. Ensure that your bag is always with you and constantly remind yourself about what you should do and when to do it.
- Reward Yourself. Reward yourself when you have successfully accomplished one or more of the goals you have set for yourself. You can choose your goals; for example if you stick to your routine for a full week at a time, you can reward yourself with a massage or a movie.
- Own a Good Pair of Training Shoes. Ensure that they are equipped with good cushioning to provide maximum support. Sales personnel can give you valuable advice and help you to choose a good pair. Experts say that you should avoid high-top shoes as they might give too much ankle support. Replace them when they are getting old, so that you always have good and effective training shoes. You can also buy two pairs at a time so that you are always prepared.
- Train With a Buddy. We can all benefit from a training companion because they help as to always be accountable. They depend on us as we depend on them, and this will motivate you to stay on track with your training and achieve your goals. Exercise sessions will also be more fun to do.
- Start Out Slowly. People often start too fast and lose interest or become burnt out. You can break up your sessions to train twice a day for smaller sessions. Every bit of exercise helps. An exercise program can easily be broken up into 15 or 20 minute sessions for beginners, and gradually increased.
For more information, tips, and real-life testimonials of how to be successful in exercising, you can read more on Mike Geary’s Truth About Abs Program. There are many ways in which you can motivate yourself, and when you decide to start an exercise program, you can easily keep it up.